The Prosci 3-Phase Process is one of the three main components of the Prosci Methodology, in addition to the Prosci Change Triangle Model and the ADKAR Model. While the ADKAR Model enables successful change at the individual level, the Prosci 3-Phase Process provides a framework for achieving change at the organisational level.
Through this organisational change management process, change practitioners work through three phases (Phase 1– Prepare Approach, Phase 2 – Manage Change, Phase 3 – Sustain Outcomes) to achieve successful project outcomes.
Each phase is broken down into three stages, and each stage includes important activities to support the success of a change initiative. Although the Prosci 3-Phase Process is structured, it is also adaptable and scalable to fit the needs of any organization or change initiative.
Phase 1 – Prepare Approach
The first phase of the Prosci 3-Phase Process supports change and project teams in developing their change management strategy, and with the end in mind. The activities in this phase help practitioners develop a customised and comprehensive approach that positions their change for success. The three stages in Phase 1 – Prepare Approach include:
- Define Success – Practitioners establish precisely what they are trying to achieve, with activities such as developing a detailed change profile and defining what success on the project looks like
- Define Impact – This stage focuses on how the change impacts individuals, using activities that include identifying impacted groups and defining adoption and usage
- Define Approach – Here, practitioners consider what steps they will need to take to achieve project success, engaging in activities such as assessing risk, identifying potential resistance, and establishing required roles
Download: Introduction to Change Management Guide
Phase 2 – Manage Change
The second phase of the Prosci 3-Phase Process brings the Change Management Strategy to life. The activities in this phase involve developing plans and actions that help move individuals and the organisation through ADKAR transitions. The three stages in Phase 2 – Manage Change include:
- Plan and Act – Practitioners establish how to best prepare, equip and support people who will be impacted by the change, with activities like developing an ADKAR Blueprint and producing change management plans such as a Sponsor Plan and Communications Plan
- Track Performance – This stage focuses on how to track and sustain progress in the change management efforts, using activities that include establishing a tracking calendar and identifying performance strengths and opportunities
- Adapt Actions – Based on what practitioners have learned so far, particularly in the previous stage, they spend important time adjusting their change management strategy with activities such as preparing adaptive actions and continuing to track performance
Phase 3 – Sustain Outcomes
The third and final phase of the Prosci 3-Phase Process establishes the approach for ensuring that the change is adopted and the organisation is committed to doing what’s needed to sustain the change. Related activities involve reassessing performance, activating sustainment strategies, and transitioning responsibilities. The three stages in Phase 3 – Sustain Outcomes include:
- Review Performance – Following project go-live, practitioners reflect on performance to confirm desired results, with activities such as reviewing ADKAR outcomes and documenting lessons learned
- Activate Sustainment – Here, practitioners focus on implementing actions to sustain change outcomes, engaging in activities like identifying gaps and activating relevant sustainment roles
- Transfer Ownership – In this final stage of the Prosci 3-Phase Process, practitioners establish how to carry sustainment efforts forward, with important activities that include transferring knowledge and assets, as well as celebrating change management successes
If you're interested in learning more about the Prosci 3-phase Process in order to achieve your outcomes, consider attending an upcoming Prosci Change Management Practitioner Certification Programme. Download the brochure to find out more.
CMC Global also works with a variety of organisations across a variety of industries and geographies to provide them with change management support and training solutions.
If you'd like to know more about how we can work directly with your organisation, get in touch!