Organisations that invest in an internal change management capability set themselves apart from their peers and competitors. These organisations have the ability to remain agile in a constantly changing business environment and are able to adopt solutions more quickly to realise project ROI sooner. Ultimately, embedding change management capability in your organisation creates a competitive advantage.
Sounds simple? Well here’s the rub - deploying change management across an organisation is not a quick fix. Enterprise change management (ECM) doesn’t happen with a single announcement by senior leaders or by simply training a few people about how to manage change. When you set about building organisational-wide competencies in change management, you are fundamentally changing how the entire organisation thinks about and handles change.
One of the common pitfalls regarding internalising CM capability is failing to understand that this change should be treated as both a project which needs managing and also as a change. You have to move from the mindset of simply doing more change management (whether that means more application or more training, although that is often the starting point for realising the need for ECM), to a mindset of deploying change management and building organisation competency and capabilities. There are many organisations that do apply CM to more individual projects and these initiatives are more successful because this, however they may never go beyond this and take the next step toward internalising change management fully across the organisation.
When you begin planning and managing the effort to internalise change management have embarked on what we call Project ECM – and this effort must be managed as project:
What is Project ECM?
- Treating CM deployment like an initiative
- Rcognising how you currently deploy change management
- Deciding what CM will look as an enterprise-wide capability in your organisation
- Planning how, and what resources you will need, to move from the current state to where change management is embedded in the organisation
- Taking action to implement both the technical elements and the people side of Project ECM
You will need to:
- Design a solution
- Secure effective sponsorship
- Create a schedule and budget
- Complete organisational and individual change management plans
- Implement the ECM Project
Treating the effort to internalise change management as a project increases the likelihood that you will be successful and will add credibility to the work you are doing.
Download Prosci’s Building Enterprise Change Management with Project ECM to find out more.
If your organisation is moving towards building and embedding Change Management into it DNA then you may consider:
- Having a chat with one of the team here at CMC to discuss your organisational journey, give us a call on 01600 740 215
- Attend CMC's 1 day Prosci ECM Bootcamp to be shown the steps required to build a compelling case for Enterprise Change Management in your organisation. Register for the CMC Prosci Enterprise Change Management Bootcamp on March 12th in London.